from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of hobby horse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the principal performers in a morris-dance, having a figure of a horse made of wickerwork supported about his waist, and his feet concealed by a housing. He performed antics imitating the motions of a horse, and various juggling tricks.
- n. A person who acts in a foolish, subservient manner.
- n. A wooden figure of a horse, usually provided with rockers, for children to ride on.
- n. A favorite pursuit or topic: now commonly hobby. See hobby, n., 3.
- n. A kind of velocipede; the draisine.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In fact, I'll go further: in the European context, there have been a number of open linkages between neo-Nazi parties like Vlaams Belang and conservatives whose main hobby-horse is Islamism.
Tatton ParkThe Hunting Of The Earl Of Rone, Ilfracombe, Fri to 30 MayJoin the fool, grenadiers, drummers, hobby-horse and, maybe, donkey, for raffle, cake and costumed processions in a bizarre local folklore custom.
While Cowen's agenda reflects some broad libertarian-leaning economist ideas, Hacker's is more specific to his personal hobby-horse, which is that trends are piling Big Risk onto The Little Guy, and We need to Do Something.
However, staying off my hobby-horse (check my blog, I dare ya), none of these resources addresses the issue of disrupted control systems or damaged equipment on the grid.
However, staying off my hobby-horse (check my blog, I dare ya), none of these resources addresses the issue of disrupted control systems or damaged equipment on thegrid.
I was hoping Matt would post about her instead of his hobby-horse.
And what if, beyond all these big principles the French love to ride as their hobby-horse, they drew inspiration, as suggested by MRT, from their Belgian neighbors 'pragmatism, addressing the burqa issue with a mere law on security:
Harman repeats her initial argument about the tax and benefits system contributing to this imagined stemming, ignoring conveniently that both penalise work and contribute to inequality - considering it's her hobby-horse she's spectacularly ill-informed.
He is, alas, still riding the old 19th century hobby-horse that loves to find a pagan origin in every Christian ceremony.
Even the comment boards here have seen mention of my little hobby-horse SIRC.