from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or characterized by the clipping or trimming of live shrubs or trees into decorative shapes, as of animals.
- n. Topiary work or art.
- n. A topiary garden.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. In the manner of a topiary.
- adj. Of, or relating to art of topiaries.
- n. A garden decorated with shrubs which have been trimmed in artistic shapes, often of animals.
- n. One such shrub or tree.
- n. Topiary gardening.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to ornamental gardening; produced by cutting, trimming, etc.; topiarian.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In gardening, clipped or cut into ornamental shapes; also, of or pertaining to such trimming. Topiary work is the clipping and trimming of trees and shrubs into regular or fantastic shapes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a garden having shrubs clipped or trimmed into decorative shapes especially of animals
- n. making decorative shapes by trimming shrubs or trees
In that sense, topiary is almost the opposite of arborsculpture in that you're only trimming the foliage, whereas in arborsculpture, you're only working with the trunk.
It features the new Bouquet Bunch stamp set from the Summer Mini and lining up the topiary was a cinch with the new clear mount stamps.
Topiary was originally defined as ornamental gardening, so you could say, to be technical, that arborsculpture is a branch of topiary, but the word topiary is more commonly used to describe the shaping of foliage.
When a number of such trees are growing together, the place is called a topiary, and lately people who can afford the money have been contriving topiaries in some parts of their grounds.
The croquet match in the topiary is a standout, and Nolan's flair for visual effects is confirmed by the now famous scene in which the King whips off his powdered gray "hair" to reveal that, all along, it has been a wig.
Scenery involves aesthetics that raise guest happiness slightly, such as topiary art, lightposts, or benches.
I try to hide behind the topiary and follow the Phils-Nationals game on my Droid, but gardeners run me to earth.
Created by designer Paola Navone and inspired by the art of topiary, it will not only make for a comfortable seating experience surrounded by nature, but also for a true figurative art for your garden.
Inspired by the ancient art of topiary, these sofas, armchairs and tables have been crafted in a light and minimal fashion to expose only the versatility of metal.
The subjects are a lion tamer, an expert on hairless mole rats, a topiary gardener green animals, lovingly groomed and a scientist who builds robots that crawl like bugs.