from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.
- n. A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Doctrine, philosophy, body of beliefs or principles belonging to an individual or group.
- n. The study of the origin and nature of ideas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of ideas.
- n. A theory of the origin of ideas which derives them exclusively from sensation.
- n. A set or system of theories and beliefs held by an individual or group, especially about sociopolitical goals and methods to attain them; in common usage, ideology is such a set of beliefs so strongly held by their adherents as to cause them to ignore evidence against such beliefs, and thus fall into error -- in this sense it is viewed as a negative trait; contrasted to
pragmatism, and distinct from idealism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of ideas or of mind; a name applied by the later disciples of the French philosopher Condillac to the history and evolution of human ideas, considered as so many successive forms or modes of certain original or transformed sensations; that system of mental philosophy which derives knowledge exclusively from sensation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an orientation that characterizes the thinking of a group or nation
- n. imaginary or visionary theorization
But then, consistency in ideology is not the strong suit of many.
I'm usually ok doing presentations and speeches. .i used to do public speaking at school. .won a couple of competitions here and there. .but with those i usually got to choose the subject matter. .with this it was set for me and i really don't have a clue about the term ideology at all.
The term ideology refers to this simultaneous war on reality and campaign for unreality.
The term ideology is often associated in people's minds with dogmatism and intolerance, but in fact, every society has needed a set of shared assumptions to provide it with a settled view about living together.
Your ideology is code for "let's make everyone equally poor and governed by the elite few".
Everybody has their own set of cherrypicked stats they can use to “prove” their ideology is the best one, but two months ago the country decided it wanted a Dem President and a Dem legislature.
They wisecrack their way through their disasters and ill-considered romantic interludes, and even if the ideology is a bit dodgy, the comic turn makes it all very palatable and charming.
I read this blog everyday, I give you hits, I learn what your ideology is about, I internalize it, and I try to figure out why you all believe what you do.
So, their ideology is and will never be in-line with what the President want to do.
If your ideology is the only thing driving you ... resign.