from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An acknowledgment expressing regret or asking pardon for a fault or offense.
- n. A formal justification or defense.
- n. An explanation or excuse: "The consequence of those measures will be the best apology for my conduct” ( Daniel Defoe).
- n. An inferior substitute: The sagging cot was a poor apology for a bed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An expression of remorse or regret for having said or done something that harmed another: an instance of apologizing (saying that one is sorry).
- n. A formal justification, defence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Something said or written in defense or justification of what appears to others wrong, or of what may be liable to disapprobation; justification.
- n. An acknowledgment intended as an atonement for some improper or injurious remark or act; an admission to another of a wrong or discourtesy done him, accompanied by an expression of regret.
- n. Anything provided as a substitute; a makeshift.
- intransitive v. To offer an apology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something said or written in defense, vindication, or excuse; specifically, a defense or justification of a doctrine, system, course of conduct, etc., against objections or criticisms.
- n. An excuse, usually accompanied by an expression of regret, for some fault.
- n. That which imperfectly serves a given purpose; a temporary substitute; a makeshift.
- n. An apologue.
- n. Synonyms
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a poor example
- n. an expression of regret at having caused trouble for someone
- n. a formal written defense of something you believe in strongly
 It was anything but an apology, unless _apology_ is used in its old meaning of _defence_.
There are now powerful incentives on both sides to repair their relations, although the word apology still remains a major obstacle.
Perhaps the Conservatives could issue a portmanteau apology for any other unscrupulous rightwing notions they may have nursed while Labour were lucky enough to be in charge?
It's not my fault there was slavery in the United States and I think this apology is a slap in the face of many American's just like me.
The word "apology" does not exist in her vocabulary.
And with this back and forth with Letterman, her accepting his apology is a little too late.
To the racist comments this apology is about learning from our pass, As the greatest country in the world it must start here.
April 8th, 2010 8: 47 am ET when I saw the headline - "Apology Not Accepted" I immediately knew the guy not accepting the apology is an African American. so-so typical.
September 9th, 2009 10: 29 pm ET that was disgusting and while his apology is accepted, you should never disrespect any president like that.
His behavior after his apology is the reason people do not feel he was sincere.