from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To express gratitude to; give thanks to: He thanked her for the gift.
- transitive v. To hold responsible; credit: We can thank the parade for this traffic jam.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An expression of appreciation; a thought.
- v. To express gratitude or appreciation to someone.
- v. Credit or hold something responsible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A expression of gratitude; an acknowledgment expressive of a sense of favor or kindness received; obligation, claim, or desert, or gratitude; -- now generally used in the plural.
- transitive v. To express gratitude to (anyone) for a favor; to make acknowledgments to (anyone) for kindness bestowed; -- used also ironically for blame.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Grateful thought; gratitude; good will.
- n. Expression of gratitude; utterance of a sense of kindness received; acknowledgment by words or signs of a benefit or favor conferred: now used almost exclusively in the plural.
- To express gratitude to, as for a favor or benefit conferred; make acknowledgments to, as of good will or service due for kindness bestowed.
- To give thanks.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. express gratitude or show appreciation to
Oh, thank you, _thank_ you, aunty, for thinking of the hot supper.
You see he's to _thank God_ for detecting him -- thank God even at that frightful moment, and with that frightful death before him as a consequence.
"Oh! thank you -- _thank you_!" she said, with trembling lip and tearful eyes as she held out her hand, "I feel _sure_ that you will find father."
But it cannot be, I thank you, I _thank_ you for your sympathy.
"Oh, thank you, _thank_ you," she said gratefully; "you are
"She is sick -- it will kill her to lose him -- You have said what I expected, and I thank you, thank you, _thank_ you!
Sorry to be so longe winded, i love reading all your finds and only recently could give you something i thought might interest you - write me and give me your thoughs about this might be a presentation coin - thank you — chuck firstname.lastname@example.org
I again thank you for starting this thread, because it brought to light a fundamental aspect of the Culture War.
Finally, I want to once again thank the Forum for all the helpful ideas and advice I received, especially the private responders.
Once again thank you again for writing to Bob with your concerns.