from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A beating, thrashing, or spanking.
- n. Slang A severe loss or defeat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A severe beating.
- n. A great loss or defeat.
- v. Present participle of lick.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lapping with the tongue.
- n. A flogging or castigation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who licks.
- n. A beating; a thrashing.
- n. The adhesion of textile fibers (cotton) to any surface in the process of manufacture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unsuccessful ending to a struggle or contest
- n. the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I imagine much wound-licking is going on and the long-term damage remains to be seen.
Which I guess is good, because considering the amount of garlic I ate tonight, the odds of anyone else getting in licking range are pretty slim.
When he was taken out of the plaster, he was still denied that instinctive pleasure which all animals take in licking their wounds, for shrewdly arranged bandages were wrapped and buckled on him.
Pretty good for takin 'a licking from a guy with my reputation.
Unless you call licking it off your breasts kinky.
My friend took him to the vet and he's on antibiotics now, and now that the stitches are out and the bandagesare off he's losing interest in licking his paws as much.
Blockers locked arms and took a licking from the defenders trying to break the chain to reach the ball-carrier.
Boot-licking is not entertainment in my opinion, so I was ready to switch the channel -- but William Shatner started the show (WHAT?!?) as a comedian.
I agree – I could never work for him … That kind of boot licking is more appropriate for the wannabees and whack jobs that come troll here.
It really was the dirty little brown and white spaniel; and he persisted in licking me, and jumping on me, and making curious little noises, that must have meant something if one had known his language.