from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cordial made from the fermented juice and crushed pits of the marasca cherry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sweet liqueur made from marasca cherries
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A liqueur distilled from fermented cherry juice, and flavored with the pit of a variety of cherry which grows in Dalmatia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cordial originating in Dalmatia, where it is distilled from or flavored with the marasca cherry, peculiar to that region; hence, a similar cordial produced in other regions from other kinds of cherry.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cherry preserved in true or imitation maraschino liqueur
- n. distilled from fermented juice of bitter wild marasca cherries
Steep them for three hours in a plateful of weak kirsch, or maraschino, that is slightly warmed.
That's because the "maraschino" in the Floridita recipe is not a processed cherry but, rather, a colorless liqueur made from marasca cherries grown on Italy's Dalmatian coast.
If you search the blog for "maraschino", you can find an update.
Further Addendum: (see comment in response to Matthew, below) If you search this blog for "maraschino" you will find an update.
Further Addendum: see comment in response to Matthew, below If you search this blog for "maraschino" you will find an update.
“I like to tell people a maraschino is the nutritional equivalent of a LifeSaver,” says Josh Reynolds, vice president of Gray & Company, the world’s biggest maraschino cherry manufacturer.
She plopped a red red maraschino into the cocktail, sending a little fountain into the air.
The Cherry Float Cupcakes that Coco Bean made this week use regular coke and maraschino cherry syrup to create the same general flavor in a cupcake.
The cakes also include some cocoa powder, to bring out the cocoa notes in the soda, and is topped off with a cola-tinged icing and a maraschino cherry.
The red frosting - which is sweetly decorated with a maraschino cherry and a lime wedge as garnish - gets its color and flavor from cherry juice.