from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To establish as legal tender.
- transitive v. To coin (money).
- transitive v. To convert (government debt) from securities into currency that can be used to purchase goods and services.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To convert something (especially a security) into currency
- v. To mint money
- v. To establish a currency as legal tender
- v. To make a business activity profit-generating, particularly in computer and internet-related activities.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To convert into money; to adopt as current money.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To give the character of money to; legalize as money; coin into money.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give legal value to or establish as the legal tender of a country
One way Boxee will monetize is they will revenue share with services that they officially integrate and they do this with Joost who gave the Boxee developers full access to their APIs and have a partnership with them.
The public domain, on principle, pisses them off, because it’s use of “content” that they can’t monetize, and make no mistake, the ability to monetize is what every step of their bullshit is about.
Umair (who also blogs as a discussion leader at Harvard Business Online) loathes the term monetize, he said, because you have to * create* value before you can capitalise on it; you have to have a purpose before you can profit from it.
"The best way to monetize is to make stuff that people can't live without," McKean said.
Worse yet, often the only real way to monetize is to take a teensy percentage of an already low-priced track.
How much 'figuring' was there to "monetize" Interstate freeways (by rich folks)?
Facebook then attempts to "monetize" one's data by selling it to advertisers that want to send targeted messages.
By late 2008, YouTube's attempts to "monetize" its vast streams of amateur videos had hit choppy water.
Bloomberg isn't worried about congestion; these rules are part of his larger plan to privatize and "monetize" our city's parks.
The company has compiled a vocabulary list of 5,000 words for its workers to learn, including terms like "monetize" and "functional."