from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Astronomy A diffuse mass of interstellar dust or gas or both, visible as luminous patches or areas of darkness depending on the way the mass absorbs or reflects incident radiation.
- n. Astronomy See galaxy.
- n. Pathology A cloudy spot on the cornea.
- n. Pathology Cloudiness in the urine.
- n. A liquid medication applied by spraying.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cloud in outer space consisting of gas or dust (e.g. a cloud formed after a star explodes).
- n. A white spot or slight opacity of the cornea.
- n. A cloudy appearance in the urine
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A faint, cloudlike, self-luminous mass of matter situated beyond the solar system among the stars. The term was originally applied to any diffuse luminous region. Now, technically, it is applied to interstellar clouds of dust and gases (diffuse nebula). However distant galaxies and very distant star clusters often appear like them in the telescope, such as the spiral nebula in Andromeda, known now to be a distant galaxy.
- n. A white spot or a slight opacity of the cornea.
- n. A cloudy appearance in the urine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A luminous patch in the heavens, far beyond the limits of the solar system.
- n. In pathology, a cloud-like spot on the cornea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cloudiness of the urine
- n. (pathology) a faint cloudy spot on the cornea
- n. a medicinal liquid preparation intended for use in an atomizer
- n. an immense cloud of gas (mainly hydrogen) and dust in interstellar space
And yet the work of Fabry and Buisson, which has been verified by Professor Frost at the Yerkes Observatory, shows that the nebula is a seething mass of gaseous matter where there is no rest and over whose vast bulk relative motions of several miles a second are constantly, taking place.
Fringing the outlines of the nebula is a system of whisker-like rays.
The nebula is clearly a planetary nebula, and the gas seen above composed the outer layers of a sun-like star only 10,000 years ago.
I know that a planetary nebula is different than a hydrogen cloud.
E: When in nebula mode (press N), this greatly accentuates the nebula clouds, making them very easy to see.
(A nebula is an interstellar cloud of gas, dust and plasma where stars can both emerge and die.) “This spectacular event is the death of a star,” said study team member James Lloyd of Cornell University.
Snuffles was in reality a superintelligent nebula from a parallel universe, but he had transformed into a dragon in order to visit our universe and had become trapped in that form, adopted by this dragon couple who had no children.
I was originally a superintelligent nebula from a universe beyond yours.
The crab nebula is the remnant from a supernova explosion 1054.
This planetary nebula is so spectacular, I never get tired of looking at it - NGC 2392, from Hubble