from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants of the genera Achimenes or Viola, especially V. tricolor or its hybrids, having flowers with velvety petals of various colors.
- n. A deep to strong violet.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a man or boy who is considered effeminate.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Common name for a cultivated flowering plant, Viola tricolor hortensis, derived from heartsease; many garden varieties are hybrids.
- n. A deep purple colour, like that of the pansy.
- n. A male homosexual, especially one who is effeminate.
- n. A timid, weak man or boy; a wuss.
- adj. Wimpy; spineless; feeble.
- adj. Of a deep purple colour, like that of the pansy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant of the genus Viola (Viola tricolor) and its blossom, originally purple and yellow. Cultivated varieties have very large flowers of a great diversity of colors. Called also heart's-ease, love-in-idleness, and many other quaint names.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A favorite species of violet, Viola tricolor; the heart's-ease.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. offensive term for an openly homosexual man
- n. large-flowered garden plant derived chiefly from the wild pansy of Europe and having velvety petals of various colors
- n. a timid man or boy considered childish or unassertive
My brothers used the term pansy all the time growing up.
I know I will take flack for this, but simply accepting the use of the word pansy is offensive, but calculated.
*** My husband would like it on the record that he had nothing to do with this particular piece of cheese, and the pansy is thereby distancing himself from said joke and any particular wife who may have thought it funny ….
Pilotshark says: so sissy pansy hillbilly slacker is mr duke your plain pansy persona?
You know what the problem, you little anonymous pansy, is with reflexively jumping to defend anyone accused of racism?
Once again, the ignorant pansy is laughably attempting to proclaim himself “victorious”; what a pathetic d0uchebag.
Beeb will later go on to become one of the founding members of Little River Band, so you should always be careful about which musician you call a pansy.
For those of you who don't know the etymology of the phrase, pansy is a derogatory term for an effeminate homosexual man.
The word pansy is defined by every dictionary entry I could find as a disparaging term for both effeminate and homosexual males.
I had no idea that using the word pansy in this way means you are homophobic.