from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A way allowing passage, especially a corridor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A covered walkway, between rooms or buildings.
- n. Any way for passing in, out or through something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A way for passage; a hall. See passage, 5.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A passage; a road, avenue, path, or way affording means of communication; avenue of entrance or exit; street, alley, gallery, or corridor.
- n. A hall.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a passage between rooms or between buildings
- n. a path or channel or duct through or along which something may pass
Why Not? how about we move the monorail stop to this plaza, instead of that ugly dying mall, and construct an underground passageway from the tunnel to this plaza?
Sometimes the open passageway is wide (a large PDA) and sometimes it is narrow (a small PDA).
The advertised purpose of this expansion is to create a new multi-modal passageway from the airport to the burgeoning population center right there on Rt. 29.
Rather, in coming to the place where such a passageway is needed and missing, we find ourselves in
On the first floor, the houses were separate, which made room for a skinny passageway from the front yard to the back yard.
A secret passageway is rumoured to have existed at the time, used perhaps by bandits listening for the latest news of the gold-laden pack trains which passed along the main road ...
Past the rooming house, at the end of the passageway, is the front (pedestrian) entrance to the compound.
The word passageway is somewhat misleading -- there was really a distance of only three feet between the two chambers, this being the thickness of the massive stone wall that separated them.
The metal slivers in the passageway were the contacts to the hive mind's interface, the means by which it became a sentient being that communicated with others.
At the end of the chamber opposite the passageway was a large hole in the floor of the cave.