from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large shallow dish or plate, used especially for serving food.
- n. A meal or course served on a platter.
- n. Slang A phonograph record.
- idiom on a platter Without exertion; effortlessly: always got what they wanted on a platter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tray for serving foods.
- n. The part of a turntable on which a Gramophone record rests when being played, commonly made of aluminum, but sometimes high impact plastic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who plats or braids.
- n. A large plate or shallow dish on which meat or other food is brought to the table.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plate; a large shallow dish for holding eatables; especially, a flat dish in which a fowl, a joint, or the like is placed to be carved.
- n. One who plats, braids, or interweaves.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. sound recording consisting of a disk with a continuous groove; used to reproduce music by rotating while a phonograph needle tracks in the groove
- n. a large shallow dish used for serving food
This platter is a bit more crowded than I recommended in my post about plattering heirloom tomatoes.
Particularly when there's some righteous ass-kicking going on ... participating vicariously in the bad guys getting their heads handed to them on a platter is a great release.
Their Dionysus platter is my go-to meal when working late.
One of the more interesting projects on his platter is something referred to as "Selma," in which he will presumably play Alabama Governor George Wallace in a period civil rights story.
I did not eat tongue, but my mother, my grandmother and my aunts did, and seeing it sitting there on the platter from the Pickle Barrel, contaminating the lovely pastrami and corned beef beside it with its nastiness was enough to make me eat tuna.
I know Obama had a lot on his platter from the previous regime and I fully realize he is trying to fix some and still stay alive ..
An inexpensive meal prepared carefully and arranged beautifully on the platter is very elegant and hardly distinguishable from something expensive.
I'm sure that Clinton's campaign will say that anything short 0of handing it to her on a silver platter is not fair.
I guess it's because the combo platter is so rare, that I'm used to settling as a reader.
The platter is a balance of taste with the sour, sweet, spice and salt.