from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An instrument for ramming, or driving by impact.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun An instrument for driving anything with force.
  • noun A rod for forcing down the charge of a gun; a ramrod.
  • noun (Founding) An implement for pounding the sand of a mold to render it compact.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A device used to ram, a ramrod.
  • noun One who rams.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a tool for driving something with force


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word rammer.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The tool, or person who uses the tool, that tamps down the cartridge or shot in a cannon to prepare it for firing. Often the other end of a rammer (or ramrod) has a sponge on it for swabbing out the barrel after firing/before loading.

    March 20, 2008