from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To turn (a computer's operating system) off and then on again; restart.
- transitive verb To bring back (an earlier film or television show), usually with a new cast and updated script.
- noun The act or an instance of rebooting a computer's operating system.
- noun A film or television show that is a remake of an earlier production, typically with a different or refreshed viewpoint.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun computing An instance of rebooting.
- noun narratology The restarting of a series storyline that discards all previous continuity.
- verb computing To cause a
computerto execute its bootprocess, effectively resetting the computer and causing the operating systemto reload, especially after a systemor power failure
- verb narratology To discard all previous continuity in a series and restart the series.
- verb video games To restart a (computer or video game) from the beginning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb cause to load (an operating system) and start the initial processes
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Bringing a new meaning to the term reboot, Dimension Films announced Thursday that a "Short Circuit" remake is in the works.
Which, in turn, makes you also wonder why a reboot is necessary when "Knight and Day" also seems to rely on the same premise.
I'm not going to lie, I think that the Spider Man reboot is going to be one of the worst movies EVER!
The reboot is a foolish idea, have Sony lost their minds or what?
This Abrams Star Trek reboot is starting at movies and then ..... what?????
This whole reboot is being geared towards tween girls.
Walk up to any computer, plug in your mouse, reboot from the flash drive and you've got a system all set up the way you like it. sinisterscrawl
I honestly hope that when the Spidey reboot is released that it fails miserably so that Sony will gives the reigns of control back to Raimi who actually knew what he was doing.
A reboot is just setting something in a different continuity.
Reason I'm saying I want Jackman to be replaced in favor of a reboot is because well ...