from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Unwilling; disinclined: reluctant to help.
- adj. Exhibiting or marked by unwillingness: a reluctant smile.
- adj. Offering resistance; opposing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Opposing; offering resistance (to).
- adj. Not wanting to take some action; unwilling.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Striving against; opposed in desire; unwilling; disinclined; loth.
- adj. Proceeding from an unwilling mind; granted with reluctance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Striving against some opposing force; struggling or resisting.
- Struggling against some requirement, demand, or duty; unwilling; acting with repugnance; loath; as, he was very reluctant to go.
- Proceeding from an unwilling mind; granted with unwillingness: as, reluctant obedience.
- Not readily brought to any specified behavior or action.
- Synonyms Averse, Reluctant (see averse), disinclined, opposed, backward, slow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. unwillingness to do something contrary to your custom
- adj. not eager
- adj. disinclined to become involved
For those not in the business, the term "reluctant reader" tends to be a synonym for "boy."
"Originally, I was what they called a reluctant spouse," she said.
Government data, industry surveys and interviews with employers big and small indicate that many businesses remain reluctant to hire full-time employees because health insurance, which now costs the nation's employers an average of about $3,000 a year for each worker, has become one of the fastest-growing costs for companies.
Economists say the unemployment rate could climb as high as 10.5 percent next year because employers remain reluctant to hire.
Now, research has shown that comics are a great way to turbo-charge literacy in reluctant readers (especially in boys), and comics are suddenly being welcomed into classrooms all over the world.
I rise in reluctant opposition to H Res 560, which condemns the Iranian government for its recent actions during the unrest in that country.
Sarah George Palin reluctant leader who will return the power to the people.
With demand shaky, companies remain reluctant to invest in plants, people or equipment.
Yet those incentives can be costly, and companies remain reluctant to spend money on inventory expansion or hiring.
According to the LA Times: “Latino voters, who have helped to propel California's leftward political swing over recent years, remain reluctant to embrace Republican candidates as the November general election nears.”