from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resistant to physical pressure; not pliant.
- adj. Reluctant to yield or be swayed; recalcitrant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. resistant to physical pressure; unyielding
- adj. resistant to compulsion; recalcitrant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resisting pressure or the effect of it; acting against impulse by elastic force.
- adj. Persistently opposed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resisting pressure or the effect of it; acting against impulse by elastic force.
- Persistently opposing.
My eyes had grown so used to the dark in those watches of wandering through the entrails of the ship that, faint though the gleam shone, I could see the renitent surface under my feet and the mossy walls about me; I sheathed my knife then, and ran.
The gruesome deaths of the five Foke jarred him into the itchy, gummy, renitent physicality of his body.