from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Uneasily impatient under restriction, opposition, criticism, or delay.
- adj. Resisting control; difficult to control.
- adj. Refusing to move. Used of a horse or other animal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Impatient under delay, duress, or control.
- adj. Resistant of control; stubborn.
- adj. Refusing to move, especially in a forward direction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Unwilling to go on; obstinate in refusing to move forward; stubborn; drawing back.
- adj. Inactive; sluggish.
- adj. Impatient under coercion, chastisement, or opposition; refractory.
- adj. Uneasy; restless; averse to standing still; fidgeting about; -- applied especially to horses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Unwilling to go or to move forward; stopping; balky; obstinate; stubborn. Compare def. 5.
- Not easily moved or worked; stiff.
- Being at rest; being less in motion.
- Impatient under restraint or opposition; recalcitrant.
- Refusing to rest or stand still; restless: said especially of horses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being in a tense state
- adj. impatient especially under restriction or delay
Hamedan, 200 miles (340 kilometers) west of Tehran, is not known as a restive area, but it is close to Kurdish area of Iran that has witnessed occasional clashes between Kurdish rebels and security forces over the past years.
She came into the club room one evening in time to hear the president call the restive members to order with the statement, "You might just as well keep quiet for she is bound to finish it, and the quicker she gets to reading, the longer time we'll have for dancing."
But if we found wickedness in it -- vice, as we rightly call it -- if it became restive, that is, rebellious and self-willed, then we should punish it indeed.
A widely circulated tweet from the current uprising, which refers to the restive city of Homs, makes the point: "Homs 2011 = Hama 1982, but slowly, slowly."
Hamedan, 340km west of Tehran, is not known as a restive area, but it is close to Kurdish area of Iran that has witnessed occasional clashes between Kurdish rebels and security forces over the past years.
Heavy shelling and bombardment rocked Somalias restive capital Mogadishu on Sunday, claiming the lives of at least 14 people Drag to Playlist
Hamedan, 200 miles west of Tehran, is not known as a restive area, but it is close to a
The New York Times ran an article on Sunday claiming that after a long period of dormancy, the "anti-war" movement was getting "restive" and planned to do some actions in
Military chaplains will reassure the troops of their sacred duty to keep dropping bombs from midnight skies on "restive" Iraqi villages, and never make it public.
12.21.2009 Heavy shelling and bombardment rocked Somalias restive capital Mogadishu on Sunday, claiming the lives of at least 14 people