from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Difficult or impossible to discipline, control, or rule.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. wild; uncontrolled
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not submissive to rule; disregarding restraint; disposed to violate; turbulent; ungovernable; refractory
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Disposed to resist rule or lawful restraint, or to violate laws laid down; lawless; turbulent; ungovernable; refractory; disorderly; tumultuous: as, an unruly child.
- Not according to rule; irregularly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of persons
- adj. noisy and lacking in restraint or discipline
- adj. unwilling to submit to authority
Principal Hector Espinoza has taken the unusual step of canceling the final seven games of the Cougars season after the team had engaged in what he called unruly behavior during competition.
She looked at his hands, the backs of which were covered in unruly black hair.
It acts as a kind of palimpsest over which the literary writer might inscribe his/her own variations on "criminal" behavior and its sources in unruly human impulses.
It reaches up the poles and strives in unruly tufts down where the trees harbor their gloom.
Nip off the leaves that are faded, prune in unruly shoots, see if any need re-potting.
As soon as practicable he called the unruly body to order, beat upon the rude desk to enforce attention, and, in the lull that succeeded, briefly defined the purpose of the meeting, ending with introducing the speaker and craving for her their respectful attention.
I was a young teacher … from age 20 to 25 and "unruly" - having been involved in the first teachers strikes in NYC to get the right to collective bargaining and then for the first contract, in successive years - 2nd strike in
Perhaps they are even reflected in that little unexpected epithet, "unruly" - suggesting the sun himself had challenged the Roman inquisition.
As you can see, the bush vines lie in unruly rows since they aren’t trellised.
While Levi had debated on what to name his new pet, Sophie and Jake had taken to calling the unruly pup the Lakota word for dog, which stuck.