from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Bent, curved, or turned backward.
  • adj. Pronounced with the tip of the tongue turned back against the roof of the mouth.
  • n. A sound pronounced with the tongue in retroflex position, as the sound (r) in some varieties of English.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Bent or curved backwards.
  • adj. : Of pronunciation in which the tip of the tongue is raised and bent backwards, so that the underside of the tongue is behind the alveolar ridge or touches the palate.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Reflexed; bent or turned abruptly backward.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Same as reflexed.
  • Same as retroflect.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. bent or curved backward
  • adj. pronounced with the tip of the tongue turned back toward the hard palate
  • v. articulate (a consonant) with the tongue curled back against the palate
  • v. bend or turn backward


Latin *retrōflexus, past participle of retrōflectere, to bend back : retrō, retro- + flectere, to bend.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin rētrōflexus, the perfect participle of rētrōflectō ("bend, turn"), from flectō ("bend, turn"). (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.