from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who produces sculptural artwork.
- n. One who shapes, molds, or fashions especially with artistry or precision.
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Cetus and Phoenix. Also called Scultpor's Workshop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who sculpts. An artist who produces sculpture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who sculptures; one whose occupation is to carve statues, or works of sculpture.
- n. Hence, an artist who designs works of sculpture, his first studies and his finished model being usually in a plastic material, from which model the marble is cut, or the bronze is cast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who practises the art of sculpture, which includes modeling in clay or wax, casting or striking in bronze or other metal, and carving figures in stone.
- n. In astronomy, an abbreviated name now generally used for the constellation Apparatus or Officina Sculptoris (‘the sculptor's shop’), a modern constellation between Cetus and Phœnix, with no conspicuous stars.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a faint constellation in the southern hemisphere near Phoenix and Cetus
- n. an artist who creates sculptures
At the moment, a sculptor is applying a few layers of plaster of Paris.
Antwerp art The exhibition "Anselm Kiefer" will display a selection of works by the German abstract painter and sculptor from the 1980s to the present.
Bertoia's best known for the great woven-wire chairs he designed in the 1950s, but maybe his later work as a sculptor is worth revisiting.
SIMON: Scott Cully, extraordinary pumpkin sculptor, speaking from the New York Botanical Garden.
He is also the mystery sculptor from the quiz I posted previously.
The sculptor is really prolific, and the photos of the dolls are all in natural settings -- ratty sofas and beaches and such -- giving the impression that the idea is to get one of these things and set it down somewhere where it can glare at you all day.
This dogma, as I have said, continued in force as long as the Egyptian religion lasted; but its influence upon the art of the sculptor is more manifest in the time of the Ancient Empire than at any subsequent period.
That evening when we are at supper, Giuseppe comes up to say that the young sculptor is below, having brought the bust over from Bragarezza, to know if I will make him an offer for it.
Although Michelangelo (1475-1564) wished to be known as a sculptor (as he viewed sculpture to be the highest form of art), he was also a prominent painter, architect and poet.
He built Anne himself and has lived on her since 1978, becoming well known as a sculptor and painter.