from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tangle or mass, especially of rough matted hair.
- n. A coarse long nap, as on a woolen cloth.
- n. Cloth having such a nap.
- n. A rug with a thick rough pile.
- n. Coarse shredded tobacco.
- transitive v. To make shaggy; roughen.
- n. A dance step of the 1930s consisting of a hop on each foot in turn.
- intransitive v. To perform or execute this dance.
- n. Either of two marine birds (Phalacrocorax aristotelis or P. punctatus) of Europe and North Africa, related to the cormorant.
- transitive v. To chase and bring back; fetch.
- transitive v. Baseball To chase and catch (fly balls) in practice.
- transitive v. To engage in sexual intercourse with.
- intransitive v. To engage in sexual intercourse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Matted material; rough massed hair, fibres etc.
- n. Coarse shredded tobacco.
- n. A type of rough carpet pile.
- v. To make hairy or shaggy; to roughen.
- n. Several species of sea birds in the family Phalacrocoracidae (cormorant family), especially the common shag or European shag, Phalacrocorax aristotelis, found on European and African coasts.
- v. To shake, wiggle around.
- v. To have sexual intercourse with.
- v. To masturbate.
- v. To chase after; especially : to chase after and return (a ball) hit usually out of play
- n. A swing dance.
- n. An act of sexual intercourse.
- n. A casual sexual partner.
- n. A fundraising dance in honour of a couple engaged to be married.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Coarse hair or nap; rough, woolly hair.
- n. A kind of cloth having a long, coarse nap.
- n. A kind of prepared tobacco cut fine.
- n. Any species of cormorant.
- adj. Hairy; shaggy.
- transitive v. To make hairy or shaggy; hence, to make rough.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Rough matted hair, wool, or the like.
- n. Hence The nap of cloth, especially when long and coarse.
- n. Any cloth having a long nap.
- n. A strong tobacco cut into fine shreds.
- Rough and coarse; hairy; shaggy.
- Made of the cloth called shag.
- To roughen or make shaggy: used chiefly in the past participle.
- To hang in or form shaggy clusters.
- n. In ornithology, a cormorant; especially, the crested cormorant, or scart, Phalacrocorax graculus, of Europe, so called in Great Britain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a lively dance step consisting of hopping on each foot in turn
- v. dance the shag
- n. slang for sexual intercourse
- n. a strong coarse tobacco that has been shredded
- n. a fabric with long coarse nap
- n. a matted tangle of hair or fiber
BAILEY: If Tiger just used the word shag in a British accent he probably wouldn ` t be in so much trouble.
It was called the shag, and it was a 1960s kind of beach dance.
Anita begins to get over herself, then finds out the sweet teacher guy she wants to shag is really into the turn furry and howl at the moon thing.
A misspelt text, like he was in some sort of bloody hurry to dump old fatso Anne – a shag is a shag, but you wouldn’t want to take her to a club or anything, would you?
Other men sport a variety of eye-catching styles, such as the "shag" - picture a puffy mullet.
Their shag is the most beautiful shag I've ever seen.
The rich Tartars somtimes fur their gowns with pelluce or silke shag, which is exceeding soft, light, and warme.
I bought a lovely pink bag -- with sequins ... -- and er those plasticcy bracelets that people used to call shag bands (gah! scary name) and a big bangle like the £60 we saw in Liberty's.
I looked online and what carpet stores call shag doesn't look like what I remember from the 70s.
The latest teenage sex fads, such as shag bands - brightly coloured bands which represent specific acts from hugging to full sex - came under scrutiny, but really the programme focused on the pervasive consumption of porn online.