from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of surround.
- n. outlaying area; area in proximity to something
- n. environment
- adj. which surrounds something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inclosing; encircling.
- n. An encompassing.
- n. The things which surround or environ; external or attending circumstances or conditions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An encircling or encompassing; a circuit.
- n. Something connected with or belonging to those things that usually surround or environ; an accompanying or environing circumstance or condition: generally in the plural: as, a dwelling and its surroundings; fashionable surroundings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. closely encircling
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Weber spends a lot of time in On Basilisk Station describing his world-building, from the political set-up of the various "star nations" his term surrounding the planets in question to the intricate political maneuvering of the nation whose territory Basilisk Station is.
Continuing the Orwellian theme, does the lingo surrounding the state curriculum have to be so impenetrable?
Pointing downward and kind of surrounding from the North the Arabian peninsula, Israel and Jordan.
My 13 year old mind was thinking, here's this man who is the picture of urbanity, of city sophistication, but he is interested in surrounding himself with these symbols of a lifestyle that is anything but what the subject matter of his films are.
Anyone else hear about this problem? apparently if we don't do something soon, these fish can make it to the great lakes and destroy the ecosystem, affecting a $7 billion dollar fishing industry and the economy in surrounding areas. the great lakes also holds 30% of the worlds fresh water. scary stuff
You're right MB, that's what I was referring to was that the number by itself is not very useful because it is relative to other efishing catch rates, probably in surrounding lakes.
With city rates still lower than in surrounding suburban counties, there haven't been significant test cases of the city tax system in court.
If people let gay people be gay, there would be a lot less pain surrounding it all.
This purple stain surrounding what appears to be a deposit of bird ordure was on my deck yesterday.
Approximately 9 days before Christmas, various processions, called Las Posadas, are initiated in surrounding cities and communities as the participants begin their walk to Puerto Vallarta.