from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- pro. Used to indicate the one or ones belonging to thee.
- adj. Used instead of thy before an initial vowel or h: "The presidential candidates are practicing the first rule of warfare: know thine enemy” ( Eleanor Clift).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Singular second person prevocalic possessive determiner (preconsonantal form: thy).
- pro. Singular second person possessive pronoun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- prep. A form of the possessive case of the pronoun thou, now superseded in common discourse by your, the possessive of you, but maintaining a place in solemn discourse, in poetry, and in the usual language of the Friends, or Quakers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of thee; the original genitive of the pronoun thou.
- Of thee; belonging to thee. Compare mine, 2.
- Belonging or pertaining to thee: in this sense a possessive.
- Used attributively, with the force of an adjective: commonly preferred before a vowel to thy, and now used only in that situation.
Before a noun beginning with a vowel thine and mine are commonly substituted for thy and my, as in thine eyes and mine infirmity.
Be not wise in thine own eyes; fear the LORD, and depart from all evil.
Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke [reason with] thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
And in thine old age will she still make thee glad, and thy memory of her in the days of thy strength will be sweet, for thou wilt know always that she was ease to thee, and peace, and rest, and that beyond all women to other men has she been woman to thee.
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
For thine is the Himmler, the Goebbels and the Goering
Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
For thine is the pollsters, the media, and Hollywood.
These days it is more, “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thine own eye, but considerest not the beam that is in the eye of a Wahabi?” serial catowner Says:
When I heard these words from my cousin, I cried out from excess of passion and said, “How long wilt thou promise me and I go to her, but get not my will nor find any true sense in thine interpreting.”