from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cause to assume a leaning or prone position.
- intransitive v. To lie back or down.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To cause to lean back; to bend back.
- v. To put in a resting position.
- v. To lean back.
- v. To put one's self in a resting position.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cause or permit to lean, incline, rest, etc.; to place in a recumbent position.
- intransitive v. To lean or incline.
- intransitive v. To assume, or to be in, a recumbent position.
- adj. Having a reclining posture; leaning; reclining.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lean backward or downward upon something; rest in a recumbent posture.
- To bend downward; lean; have a leaning posture.
- Synonyms Recline is always as strong as lean, and generally stronger, indicating a more completely recumbent position, and approaching lie.
- To plaee at rest in a leaning or recumbent posture; lean or settle down upon something: as, to recline the head on a pillow, or upon one's arm.
- Leaning; being in a reclining posture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. move the upper body backwards and down
- v. lean in a comfortable resting position
- v. cause to recline
Where I recline is on a couch right by the windows, to get the best lighting for my reading.
Sign in recline: Former Red Sox great Johnny Pesky made sure giving autographs were a comfortable operation Monday.
(I meant lie, as in recline, not as in fib, which is what you’ll do anyway.)
Which is why Tritium’s joke about not lying to the fat guy is funny but does not work in the original, as the word recline (mishkhav) and the word dissemble, fib or tell an untruth (sh’k’r) are not hompohones in Hebrew the way they are in English.
If the airline gives you the option to recline, that is yours.
According to the industry's voluntary standard, a stroller with leg holes that can't be closed shouldn't be able to fully recline, which is meant to prevent its use with a newborn.
This was our first time flying Cathay Pacific, and I must say, except for the "recline" of the economy class seats, I found it much better than flying a domestic airline.
What he actually tells them to do is 'recline', which carries connotations of a banquet.
Mr. McDaniel : You have the right to recline, however it is nice if you check to see if anyone has their computer open or has something that can spill on their tray before reclining.
Ms. Lowe : More people are choosing not to recline in deference to their fellow passenger.