from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly British Slang A member of the upper classes, especially one who is elegantly dressed: "champagne, once a raffish drink suitable for toffs and weddings” ( Ian Jack).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An elegantly dressed person.
- n. A person of the upper class- or high-class-pretence who usually communicates an air of superiority.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fop; a beau; a swell.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dandy; a fop; a swell.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. informal term for an upper-class or wealthy person
And the idea that describing someone as a "toff" is enough to dismiss their views is pretty silly.
That's wot you are, a bloomin 'toff! the Virgin howled back as he shut the door.
Not only does he score well on that front in opinion polls, but he's also emerged unscathed from fromthe few "toff" - based attacks that the Government has launched.
He's what the Brits call a "toff" -- a product of the upper class.
The goofball "conservative with a heart of gold" Prime Minister of Britain is what the brits call a toff, which sounds like toffee, but really translates more accurately into rich, inbred bastard.
I wonder if this so-called toff is poorer than Blair who (of course) still has a 1930's marxist, left-wing socialist personna.
The Labour left hate the Upper Classes and an old Etonian, sitting for the seat of Henley with a middle name of de Pfeffel who looks and sounds like a toff will be a target for all the bile they can produce.
It's not unthinkable that Britain's most under-privileged people might bristle at the sight of a titled toff practicing the art of noblesse oblige.
He replied "Calling Beckham a toff is a bit harsh."
Marr is the kind of toff who loves to swan around with an education showing off his store-bought social status and is not a hard working, working class worker like Alistair Darling.