from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A vehicle having a powerful gasoline or diesel motor and usually large, heavily treaded rear tires, used especially for pulling farm implements or machinery.
  • n. A truck having a cab and no body, used for pulling large vehicles such as vans or trailers.
  • n. Something that pulls or draws.
  • n. An airplane propeller mounted in front of the supporting surfaces.
  • n. An airplane having such a propeller.
  • n. A toothed mechanism that automatically advances perforated continuous-form paper through a computer printer.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A vehicle used in farms e.g. for pulling farm equipment and preparing the fields.
  • n. A truck (or lorry) for pulling a semi-trailer or trailer.
  • n. Any piece of machinery, any thing that pulls something.
  • n. (aircraft configuration) An airplane where the propeller is located in front of the fuselage
  • n. A metal rod used in tractoration, or Perkinism.
  • adj. Having to do with tractors.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. That which draws, or is used for drawing.
  • n. Two small, pointed rods of metal, formerly used in the treatment called Perkinism.
  • n. a motor vehicle with a powerful engine and large wheels, used to pull farm equipment such as plows, harvesting machinery, etc., over farm land. Smaller forms of farm tractor are completely open, with only a seat for the driver.
  • n. a motor vehicle with a driver's cab and a powerful engine, fitted with a coupling at the rear, and designed to pull a large trailer or semi-trailer on the open highway; -- called also truck tractor. The combination of such a tractor with its trailer is called a tractor-trailer, and is a common form of truck used for commercial shipping of freight.
  • n. A propeller screw placed in front of the supporting planes of an aëroplane instead of behind them, so that it exerts a pull instead of a push; -- called also Tractor screw and Tractor propeller.
  • n. An airplane having one or more tractor propellers; -- called also tractor airplane.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A traction-engine for use on streets and highways. Such tractors may be used to drag loaded vehicles, to drag plows in a gang, or to haul artillery-wagons and fieldpieces.
  • n. The frame and steel rope by which a gang of plows is drawn across a field by a tractionengine.
  • n. That which draws or is used for drawing; specifically, in the plural, metallic tractors. See the phrase.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a wheeled vehicle with large wheels; used in farming and other applications
  • n. a truck that has a cab but no body; used for pulling large trailers or vans


From Latin tractus, past participle of trahere, to draw.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin tractus, perfect passive participle of trahere ("to pull"), + agent noun suffix -or. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Where was I on Feb 15th, 2007?!

    February 3, 2012

  • My dad has a huge huge tractor.

    February 15, 2007

  • My grandpa has a big tractor

    February 15, 2007

  • blaw

    February 15, 2007

  • blaw

    February 15, 2007

  • hi

    February 15, 2007

  • My Grandpa papa loves Jhon Deer tractors.

    February 15, 2007

  • the tractor collected the wheat

    February 15, 2007