from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Gradually deteriorating; declining: the wasting process of erosion.
- adj. Sapping the strength, energy, or substance of the body; emaciating: a wasting disease.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Referring to something that cause a waste, particularly a wasting disease which causes pronounced loss of body mass.
- v. Present participle of waste.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Causing waste; also, undergoing waste; diminishing
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Laying waste; devastating; despoiling.
- Gradually reducing the bodily plumpness and strength; enfeebling; emaciating: as, a wasting disease.
- n. In medicine, atrophy.
- n. In stone-cutting, the process or operation of chipping off fragments from a block of stone with a pick or point, for the purpose of reducing the faces to an approximately plane surface. Stone so worked is said to be wasted off. Compare clowring.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a decrease in size of an organ caused by disease or disuse
- n. any general reduction in vitality and strength of body and mind resulting from a debilitating chronic disease
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In _The boy wasting his time does not study_, the words _wasting his time_ form an adjective phrase modifying _boy_.
"And so it is," I insisted to the Man of Wrath, when he protested against what he called wasting my time upstairs.
The first was a comment he made discouraging major corporations from what he described as wasting money by holding conventions in Las Vegas while accepting bail-out cash.
It goes something like this: You see, the money we're wasting is in a special pot that can be spent only on frills.
And Obama has pushed Congress to hand more money to a failed industry that is efficient and reliable only in wasting billions of public dollars.
What Republicans are wasting is an opportunity for Democrats, who might have reservations against this pick, to fight internally.
Waste in wasting time and electrons to publish this garbage online.
You agree in wasting billions in Irak but you are against spending to fix healthcare for the americans.
Thank you for once again wasting the tax payer's time, President Obama.
There is no sense in wasting time listening to the paranoid ramblings of Beck and Rush, other than as entertainment.