from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is a native or inhabitant of England.
- n. A man of English descent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The grey partridge (in opposition to the Frenchman, ie the red-legged partridge).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A native or a naturalized inhabitant of England.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man who was born in or is a citizen of England; in a broad sense, a man of the English race who preserves his distinctive racial character, wherever he resides.
- n. An English ship.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who is a native or inhabitant of England
Old English engliscmann, corresponding to English + man. (Wiktionary)