from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Phaethontidae — tropicbirds.
- proper n. Alternative form of Phaëthon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The son of Helios (Phœbus), that is, the son of light, or of the sun. He is fabled to have obtained permission to drive the chariot of the sun, in doing which his want of skill would have set the world on fire, had he not been struck with a thunderbolt by Jupiter, and hurled headlong into the river Po.
- n. A genus of oceanic birds including the tropic birds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornithology, the only genus of Phaëthontidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) son of Helios; killed when trying to drive his father's chariot and came too close to earth
- n. type genus of the Phaethontidae
Sorry, no etymologies found.