from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Termination of pregnancy and expulsion of an embryo or of a fetus that is incapable of survival.
- n. Any of various procedures that result in such termination and expulsion. Also called induced abortion.
- n. The premature expulsion of a nonviable fetus from the uterus; a miscarriage.
- n. Cessation of normal growth, especially of an organ or other body part, prior to full development or maturation.
- n. An aborted organism.
- n. Something malformed or incompletely developed; a monstrosity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any fruit or produce which is interrupted in its progress before it is matured or perfect; an idea, project, or anything that does not come to maturity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of giving premature birth; particularly, the expulsion of the human fetus prematurely, or before it is capable of sustaining life; miscarriage.
- n. The immature product of an untimely birth; a fetus which has been delivered prematurely due to spontaneous or voluntary abortion, and is dead.
- n. Arrest of development of any organ, so that it remains an imperfect formation or is absorbed.
- n. Any fruit or produce that does not come to maturity, or anything which in its progress, before it is matured or perfect; a complete failure.
- n. the removal of a fetus from the womb prior to normal delivery in a manner such as to cause the death of the fetus; also called voluntary abortion, or when performed by a physician, therapeutic abortion.
- n. something considered to be a repulsive or monstrous variant of a normal object; a monstrosity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Miscarriage; the expulsion of the fetus before it is viable—that is, in women, before about the 28th week of gestation.
- n. The product of untimely birth; hence, a misshapen being; a monster.
- n. Any fruit or product that does not come to maturity; hence, frequently, in a figurative sense, anything which fails in its progress before it is matured or perfected, as a design or project.
- n. In botany and zoology, the arrested development of an organ at a more or less early stage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. termination of pregnancy
- n. failure of a plan
From Latin abortiō ("miscarriage, abortion"), from aborior ("miscarry"). See abort for more. (Wiktionary)