from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Causing or tending to cause addiction: an addictive substance.
- adj. Characterized by or susceptible to addiction: an addictive personality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Causing or tending to cause addiction; habit-forming.
- adj. Characterized by or susceptible to addiction.
- n. A drug that causes an addiction.
- n. Anything that is very habit-forming.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. causing or characterized by addiction
First attested 1914. Addiction in modern sense is first attested 1906, in reference to opium. There is an isolated instance from 1779, with reference to tobacco. (Wiktionary)