from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or adapted for walking.
- adj. Capable of walking; not bedridden: an ambulatory patient.
- adj. Designed for or available to patients who are not bedridden: ambulatory care; ambulatory pediatrics.
- adj. Moving about; itinerant.
- adj. Law That can be changed or revoked, as a will during the life of the testator.
- n. A covered place for walking, as in a cloister.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or adapted to walking
- adj. Able to walk about and not bedridden.
- adj. Performed on or involving an ambulatory patient or an outpatient.
- n. The round walkway encircling the altar in many cathedrals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to walking; having the faculty of walking; formed or fitted for walking.
- adj. Accustomed to move from place to place; not stationary; movable.
- adj. Pertaining to a walk.
- adj. Not yet fixed legally, or settled past alteration; alterable.
- n. A place to walk in, whether in the open air, as the gallery of a cloister, or within a building.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the power or faculty of walking; formed or adapted for walking: as, an ambulatory animal.
- Pertaining to a walk; happening or obtained during a walk.
- Accustomed to move from place to place; not stationary: as, an ambulatory court.
- In law, not fixed; capable of being altered: as, a will is ambulatory until the death of the testator; the return of a sheriff is ambulatory until it is filed.
- In medicine:
- Shifting; ambulant: applied to certain morbid affections when they skip or shift from one place to another.
- Permitting the patient to be about: applied to typhoid fever when it does not compel the patient to take to his bed.
- n. Any part of a building intended for walking, as the aisles of a church, particularly those surrounding the choir and apse, or the cloisters of a monastery; any portico or corridor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or adapted for walking
- adj. able to walk about
- n. a covered walkway (as in a cloister)
ambulate + -ory (Wiktionary)