from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A protective covering for the backs of chairs and sofas.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cover for the back or arms of a chair or sofa, originally to prevent them from being soiled by macassar oil.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cover for the back or arms of a chair or sofa, etc., to prevent them from wear or from being soiled by macassar or other oil from the hair.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ornamental covering for the backs and arms of chairs, sofas, couches, etc., to keep them from being soiled by oil from the hair; a tidy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a piece of ornamented cloth that protects the back of a chair from hair oils
anti- + Macassar, a brand of hair oil.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)