from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A skilled public performer or entertainer, especially a singer or dancer.
- n. A person with artistic pretensions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a public performer, especially of song or dance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One peculiarly dexterous and tasteful in almost any employment, as an opera dancer, a hairdresser, a cook.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is peculiarly dexterous or skilful in the practice of some art not one of the fine arts; one who makes an art of his employment, as a dancer, a hair-dresser, or a cook: same as artist, 2 and 4.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a public performer (a dancer or singer)
French; see artist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowed from French. (Wiktionary)