from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To declare seriously or positively; affirm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To declare earnestly, seriously, or positively; to affirm.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To affirm or aver positively, or with solemnity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To affirm or aver positively, or with solemnity.
- Synonyms Assert, Affirm, Declare, etc. (see assert); to say, allege, protest, insist, maintain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. state categorically
Latin assevērāre, assevērāt- : ad-, ad- + sevērus, serious.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)