from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Government by a single person having unlimited power; despotism.
- n. A country or state that is governed by a single person with unlimited power.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A form of government in which unlimited power is held by a single individual.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Independent or self-derived power; absolute or controlling authority; supremacy.
- n. Supreme, uncontrolled, unlimited authority, or right of governing in a single person, as of an autocrat.
- n. Political independence or absolute sovereignty (of a state); autonomy.
- n. The action of the vital principle, or of the instinctive powers, toward the preservation of the individual; also, the vital principle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The power of determining one's own actions; independent or self-derived power; self-government; self-rule.
- n. Uncontrolled or unlimited authority over others, invested in a single person; the government or power of an absolute monarch.
- n. In medicine, action of the vital powers toward the preservation of the individual.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a political theory favoring unlimited authority by a single individual
- n. a political system governed by a single individual
auto- + -cracy, from Ancient Greek αὐτοκρατής (autokrates, "one who governs alone"), from αὐτός (autos, "single, self, same, alone") + κράτος (kratos, "power"). (Wiktionary)