from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A ruler having unlimited power; a despot.
- n. A person with unlimited power or authority: a corporate autocrat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An absolute ruler with infinite power
- n. A title borne by some such Monarchs, as in Byzantium and tsarist Russia
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An absolute sovereign; a monarch who holds and exercises the powers of government by claim of absolute right, not subject to restriction.
- n. One who rules with undisputed sway in any company or relation; a despot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An absolute prince or sovereign; a ruler or monarch who holds and exercises the powers of government as by inherent right, not subject to restrictions: as, “the autocrat of all the Russias,” a title assumed by the emperor of Russia.
- n. One who is invested with or assumes unlimited authority in any relation: as, “The Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table” (title of a book)
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a cruel and oppressive dictator
French autocrate, from Greek autokratēs, ruling by oneself : auto-, auto- + -kratēs, -crat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French autocrate, itself from Ancient Greek αὐτοκρατής (autokratēs, "sovereign"), from αὐτο- (auto-, "self") (combinatory form of αὐτός) + κρατία (kratia, "rule") (from κράτος (kratos, "strength, power")) (Wiktionary)