from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small bar, tavern, or nightclub.
- n. A small, informal restaurant serving wine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small European-style restaurant.
- n. A small bar or pub.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small informal restaurant, especially one serving alcoholic beverages.
- n. a nightclub.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small informal restaurant; serves wine
French bistro or bistrot, tavern owner, tavern.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Attested from c. 1920, from the French bistro(t) with the original meaning "proprietor of a tavern" (1880s), of Unknown origin, presumably regional French dialect. (Wiktionary)