from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thoroughly unprincipled person; a scoundrel.
- n. A foul-mouthed person.
- transitive v. To abuse verbally; revile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A scoundrel; an unprincipled contemptible person; an untrustworthy person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The scullions and lower menials of a court, or of a nobleman's household, who, in a removal from one residence to another, had charge of the kitchen utensils, and being smutted by them, were jocularly called the “black guard”; also, the servants and hangers-on of an army.
- n. The criminals and vagrants or vagabonds of a town or community, collectively.
- n. A person of stained or low character, esp. one who uses scurrilous language, or treats others with foul abuse; a scoundrel; a rough.
- n. A vagrant; a bootblack; a gamin.
- transitive v. To revile or abuse in scurrilous language.
- adj. Scurrilous; abusive; low; worthless; vicious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In collective senses (properly as two words): The scullions and lowest menials connected with a great household, who attended to the pots, coals, etc., and looked after them when the household moved from one place to another.
- n. A guard of attendants, black in color of the skin or dress, or in character.
- n. The idle criminal class; vagabonds generally.
- n. The vagabond children of great towns; “city Arabs,” who run errands, black shoes, or do odd jobs.
- n. A man of coarse and offensive manners and speech; a fellow of low character; a scamp; a scoundrel.
- Belonging to the menials of a household; serving; waiting.
- Of bad character; vicious; vile; low; worthless: said of persons and things.
- Scurrilous; abusive; befitting a blackguard: as,blackguard language.
- To revile in scurrilous language.
- To be, act, or talk like a blackguard; behave riotously.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. subject to laughter or ridicule
- n. someone who is morally reprehensible
- v. use foul or abusive language towards
black + guard (Wiktionary)