from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large mackerel or herring, lightly smoked and salted.
- n. A small whitefish (Coregonus hoyi) of the Great Lakes and the lakes of eastern Canada.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A salted, and lightly smoked herring or mackerel.
- n. A freshwater fish native to the Great Lakes; the species Coregonus hoyi.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The common herring, esp. when of large size, smoked, and half dried; -- called also bloat herring.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An English name for a herring which has been steeped for a short time, slightly salted, and partially smoke-dried, but not split open.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large fatty herring lightly salted and briefly smoked
From obsolete dialectal bloat, a soft, moist cured fish, probably from bloat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)