from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Red and inflamed as a result of locally congested blood vessels: bloodshot eyes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. reddened and inflamed because of congested blood vessels
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Red and inflamed; suffused with blood, or having the vessels turgid with blood, as when the conjunctiva is inflamed or irritated.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Red and inflamed by a turgid state of the blood-vessels, as in certain weak or excited states: said of the eye.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of an eye) reddened as a result of locally congested blood vessels; inflamed
From obsolete bloodshotten : blood + shotten, suffused, past participle of shoot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)