from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pungent relish made of fruits, spices, and herbs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sweet or savory but usually spicy condiment, originally from eastern India, made from a variety of fruits and/or vegetables, often containing significant amounts of fresh green or dried red chili peppers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A warm or spicy condiment or pickle made in India, compounded of various vegetable substances, such as chopped fruits or green tomatoes, etc., often cooked with sweets and acids such as sugar and vinegar, with ginger and spices.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the East Indies, a condiment compounded of sweets and acids.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a spicy condiment made of chopped fruits or vegetables cooked in vinegar and sugar with ginger and spices
Hindi caṭnī, from cāṭnā, to taste.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Hindi चटनी (chaṭnī). (Wiktionary)