from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Equal with one another, as in rank or size.
- n. An equal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. equal to each other in size, rank or position.
- n. An equal person or thing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being on an equality in rank or power.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Equal with another person or thing, or with one another; having equal rank, dignity, intellectual ability, etc.; of corresponding character or quality.
- n. One who or that which is equal to another or others.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having the same standing before the law
From co- + equal, cognate with Latin coaequalis. (Wiktionary)