from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not the same in any measurable aspect, such as extent or quantity.
- adj. Not the same as another in rank or social position.
- adj. Consisting of ill-matched opponents: an unequal race.
- adj. Having unbalanced sides or parts; asymmetrical.
- adj. Not even or consistent; variable.
- adj. Not having the required abilities; inadequate: "It was maddening to be unequal to many enterprises” ( D.H. Lawrence).
- adj. Not fair. See Usage Note at equal.
- n. One that is not the equal of another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not the same.
- adj. Out of balance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not equal; not matched; not of the same size, length, breadth, quantity, strength, talents, acquirements, age, station, or the like.
- adj. Ill balanced or matched; disproportioned; hence, not equitable; partial; unjust; unfair.
- adj. Not uniform; not equable; irregular; uneven.
- adj. Not adequate or sufficient; inferior.
- adj. Not having the two sides or the parts symmetrical.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not equal; not of the same size, length, breadth, quantity, quality, strength, talents, age, station, etc.
- Inadequate; insufficient; inferior: as, his strength was unequal to the task.
- Not balanced or matched; disproportioned; one-sided; hence, inequitable; unfair; unjust; partial.
- Not equable; not uniform; irregular: as, unequal pulsations.
- Not having the two sides or the parts symmetrical: thus, an unequal leaf is one in which the parenchyma is not developed symmetrically on each side of the midrib or stalk. Also called oblique.
- In entomology, composed of parts or joints of different forms: as, unequal palpi or antennæ.
- n. One not equal to another in station, power, ability, age, or the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. poorly balanced or matched in quantity or value or measure
- adj. lacking the requisite qualities or resources to meet a task
un- + equal (Wiktionary)