from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not being in accord; conflicting.
- adj. Disagreeable in sound; harsh or dissonant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not in harmony or accord
- adj. harsh or dissonant sounding
- adj. serodiscordant
- adj. of a differing type of rock cutting across a formation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Disagreeing; incongruous; being at variance; clashing; opposing; not harmonious.
- adj. Dissonant; not in harmony or musical concord; harsh; jarring.
- adj. Said of strata which lack conformity in direction of bedding, either as in unconformability, or as caused by a fault.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not harmoniously related or connected; disagreeing; incongruous; contradictory; being at variance; clashing: as, discordant opinions; discordant rules or principles.
- Opposite; contrary; not coincident: as, the discordant attractions of comets or of different planets.
- Inharmonious; dissonant; harsh, grating, or disagreeable to the ear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not in agreement or harmony
- adj. lacking in harmony
Sorry, no etymologies found.