from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various large scaleless marine eels of the family Congridae, especially Conger oceanicus, native to Atlantic waters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several scaleless marine eels, of the genus Conger, found in coastal waters
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The conger eel; -- called also congeree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The conger-eel.
- [capitalized] [NL. (Cuvier, 1817).] A genus of fishes, of which the conger-eel is the type, ex-emplifying the family Congridæ. See cut under conger-eel.
- n. See the extracts.
- n. A local English (Lincolnshire) name of the cucumber.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large dark-colored scaleless marine eel found in temperate and tropical coastal waters; some used for food
Middle English congre, from Old French, probably from Late Latin congrus, from Latin conger, from Greek gongros.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)