from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several large edible flatfishes of the genus Hippoglossus and related genera, of northern Atlantic or Pacific waters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large flatfish of the genus Hippoglossus, which sometimes leaves the ocean floor and swims vertically.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large, northern, marine flatfish (Hippoglossus vulgaris), of the family Pleuronectidæ. It often grows very large, weighing more than three hundred pounds. It is an important food fish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the genus Hippoglossus, H. vulgaris, and the largest species of the flatfish family or Pleuronectidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. marine food fish of the northern Atlantic or northern Pacific; the largest flatfish and one of the largest teleost fishes
- n. lean flesh of very large flatfish of Atlantic or Pacific
Middle English : hali, holi, holy (from its being eaten on holy days); see holy + butte, flatfish (from Middle Dutch).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)