from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Capable of preventing conception.
- n. A device, drug, or chemical agent that prevents conception.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That acts to prevent conception as a result of sexual intercourse.
- n. A mechanism or means by which conception as a result of sexual intercourse can be prevented or made less likely.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. capable of preventing conception or impregnation.
- n. a substance or device used to prevent conception.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an agent or device intended to prevent conception
- adj. capable of preventing conception or impregnation
Coined in the twentieth century from contra- + conceptive; compare the related contraception. (Wiktionary)