from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a margin with low, rounded or scalloped projections: a crenate leaf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having round or blunt teeth on its margin; scalloped.
- n. Any salt or ester of crenic acid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the margin cut into rounded teeth notches, or scallops.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Notched; indented; scalloped.
- In entomology, having indentations, not sufficient to be called teeth, the exterior outline of which is rounded: said of a margin.
- In fortification, same as crenelated. See also crenelle.
- Also crenated.
- n. A zigzag or tooth-shaped work, or notch, in a wall or line of fortifications; a crenelle.
- n. A salt of crenic acid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a margin with rounded scallops
New Latin crēnātus, from Late Medieval Latin crēna, notch, from a reading of an uncertain Latin word in a corrupt passage in Pliny the Elder (influenced by Old French cren, notch).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)