from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In a direct line or manner; straight: The road runs directly north.
- adv. Without anyone or anything intervening: directly responsible.
- adv. Exactly or totally: directly opposite.
- adv. At once; instantly: Leave directly.
- adv. Candidly; frankly: answered very directly.
- adv. Chiefly Southern U.S. In a little while; shortly: He'll be coming directly.
- conj. Chiefly British As soon as.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. in a direct manner; in a straight line or course.
- adv. in a straightforward way; without anything intervening; not by secondary, but by direct means.
- adv. plainly, without circumlocution or ambiguity; absolutely; in express terms.
- adv. exactly; just.
- adv. straightforwardly; honestly.
- adv. immediately
- adv. soon; next; when it becomes convenient
- conj. As soon as.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a direct manner; in a straight line or course.
- adv. In a straightforward way; without anything intervening; not by secondary, but by direct, means.
- adv. Without circumlocution or ambiguity; absolutely; in express terms.
- adv. Exactly; just.
- adv. Straightforwardly; honestly.
- adv. Manifestly; openly.
- adv. Straightway; next in order; without delay; immediately.
- adv. Immediately after; as soon as.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a straight line or course, literally or figuratively; in the natural and primitive way: as, aim directly at the object; gravity tends directly to the center of the earth.
- In a direct manner; without the intervention of any medium; immediately.
- Straightway; without delay; immediately; at once; presently: as, he will be with us directly.
- Clearly; unmistakably; expressly; without circumlocution or ambiguity.
- Promptly, instantly, quickly.
- Absolutely, unambiguously.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. without deviation
- adv. in a forthright manner; candidly or frankly
- adv. without anyone or anything intervening
- adv. without delay or hesitation; with no time intervening
direct + -ly. (Wiktionary)